Saturday, September 4, 2010

Horseshoe Bend 8-29-10

After a fun peak-bagging adventure to Excelsior Peak, I stopped by the Horseshoe Bend trail on my way home.

The Horseshoe Bend trail head is located right across Hwy 542 from the Douglas Fir Campground and follows the Nooksack River for a couple miles up stream.

The trail is easy to follow and offers lush foliage and a swift river with plenty of whitewater.

It's about a mile and a half until the brush starts imposing on the trail, but sources tell me the trail goes for two miles before you're on your own.

Here are a few of the photos I took from (or near) the trail:










As you climb the stairs from the trail up to the parking lot you are faced with 4,000+ feet of mountain staring you down. I believe this is West Church Mountain, with the real Church Mountain on the right side where the trees start blocking the view. Little did I know that I would be standing up there in only six days (that trip report is coming soon).





Here is a video of my favorite pics from the Excelsior Peak / Horseshoe Bend trip (just 'cuz). Most (but not all) of the pics were already posted in one of the two trip reports.



Happy Trails!

~E

No comments:

Post a Comment