Friday, February 26, 2010

Intro to Excelsior (Hwy 542/Mt Baker Hwy) 02-18-2010

Took a sunny day holiday from work to go play along the Mt. Baker Highway.

The day started (and ended) with a fantastic view of the Sisters from Wickersham/Hwy 9.



I pulled into the Excelsior Trail parking lot right off Hwy 542 for some sure-fire elevation gain. This trail has been on my list for a long time but I knew that today would only be a sampler of this trail. It's long and steep... and all in the trees for the first four miles. With weather this nice it would be a shame to spend all that time and effort in the trees when I could be boosting my vitamin D levels.







I quickly gained 1,400 feet in about 1.4 miles before turning around. There was a cute waterfall/slippery slide view just past the 1 mile mark and a long mossy log at about 1.4 miles (with a squirrel that came to visit).






On the way back down I found a peek-a-boo view of Baker and Shuksan (if you have a zoom).



Hustled back to the car and cruised up to Heather Meadows (next post coming soon).

~E

No comments:

Post a Comment